RE: Fastener for presure treated wood

Sill plates are required to be treated because they are in *contact* with
concrete.  Concrete retains/absorbs moisture from the soil (and even the
adjacent environment) and transfers it to the wood.  Untreated wood absorbs
moisture and fungus develops.  Fungus consumes untreated wood.  Fungus
consumed wood has no structural strength, therefor sill plates need to be
treated.

If it were "harsh environment" that caused the sill plate treatment
requirement, there would be no reason for the "harsh environment" to suddenly
end at the sill plate/stud interface, and the studs would also be required to
be treated, which they are not.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona
(Where the environment is anything but harsh, humiditywise, but sill plates
still have to be treated.  Humidity yesterday was 14 percent.)

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > I don't understand the rationale here.

. > In the first place, I assume that galvanized or other "protected"
. > fasteners are specified to be used with treated wood because it is
. > understood that they will be in the same kind of harsh environment that
. > warrants the use of treated wood.

. > Sill plates are required to be treated wood, because it is assumed that
. > will be a "harsh environment" (ask those who are now replacing all their
. > baseboards and sheetrock in Houston these days).

. > Ergo, why should we not consider that galvanized or other "protected"
. > fasteners will be needed at sill plates as well? Consider this a naive
. > question.