RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

Gerard wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with leaving it up to the EOR - IF THE EOR DOES CALCS HIMSELF or CAN FOLLOW THE CHICKEN SCRATCHINGS OF HIS JUNIOR ENGINEER.

Neither do I!

Again, if ain't broke don't fix it argument is okay until it breaks - then what?

Then the EOR is responsible for his design work.

If you get into the habit of preparing calcs for review by an outside body, you will find that it does not add a significant amount of time to the calculation phase of the project. It also helps when you need to review a project you finished months earlier when revisions come up.

As I mentioned in two or three earlier posts on this thread, we DO prepare calculations (albeit somewhat messy ones from time to time) on virtually all projects.  When our contract terms or the local governing bodies require it, we submit the calculations for review.  In these cases, we prepare very neat, well-organized and indexed calculations.  Then we charge the client a substantial amount for this additional service, as well as for the time that will be required to educate the reviewer so that that he/she will be able to understand our work.  Some of our projects that have required calculation submittals have been in San Jose CA, Gardena CA, Las Vegas NV, Glendale AZ, and Rochester MN.  None of these projects were modified as a result of the process, but all required substantially more time (delays) and effort (money) than would have otherwise been necessary.

If a doctor is going to perform a major procedure on me, he better tell me as much as he can so I can understand. Same with a lawyer. Just as a client should be able to ask how efficient the moment frames are without having to know all the details in the code and all the mathematics involved in arriving at a number.

Our clients always ask lots of questions, and we provide comprehensive answers in language that they can understand.  We just don't give them our calculations.

Regards,

Stan Caldwell in Dallas