Q: Short Circuit Transfer for GMAW

I am reviewing a set of notes on an existing structural drawing (I like to look at what other engineers have felt were important to include in the general notes. I nearly always learn something).

I have come across one that has me puzzled: "Short circuit transfer for the Gas Metal Arc Welding process is not permitted."

Now, I'm no expert on the GMAW method, but I thought this was just one of two or three GMAW methods that are commonly used. Can anyone tell me why it should be excluded from consideration? A perusal of the AWS Handbook on this topic told me nothing that I could possibly construe as a problem with this particular GMAW method.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251