From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 10:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 11:26 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'

The reality in California is obviously different than elsewhere.  The vast majority of single family homes east of the Rockies are not engineered structures, not even the expensive ones.  In Dallas, the local home builders are building $5 million (25,000 s.f.) spec homes without any engineering whatsoever, except for the foundation.  In fact, I don't think that I've ever even met a local engineer who works with stick-built wood frame construction.
From the Texas P.E. Board Enforcement FAQ:

Q. How does an individual know when is engineering required?

A. Refer to Section 19 of the Texas Engineering Practice Act (TEPA).
Private dwellings that are exceeding eight units for one-story buildings or exceeding four units for two-story buildings. Other buildings having more than one story and containing a clear span between supporting structures greater than 24 feet on the narrow side and having a total floor area over 5,000 square feet. (See Section 20 (d) of the TEPA).

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251