RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

Title: RE: STANDARD PRACTICE
Dan wrote:

You would rather allocate tax money to a waste of time and money?

I would rather burn tax money than use it to fund more new, long-term entitlement programs.  It's all relative (no, that wasn't intended as a slam on our good friends in Arkansas).

Do you work for the government? :)

Obviously not!
The reason I asked if the wind blows, was because you said that homes
are never engineered in your neck of the woods.  You guys are just
letting the contractors do what they please?

Us "guys" aren't "letting contractors do what they please".  We also aren't telling them what to do or what not to do.  When it comes to single family homes, engineers are simply not a part of the process.  Bill Polhemus already posted the applicable section of the law in Texas, and the laws in most other states are similar.  As a general rule, homebuilding lobbyists have been very successful in exempting single family homes from engineering practice acts in most states east of the Rockies.  Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of perspective, but it is not likely to change any time soon.  To quote a famous former listserv member:  "Where are the bodies"?  Outside of tornados and floods, there aren't very many bodies.  Certainly not enough to impress many legislators.  Also, as structural engineers, we very rarely design for tornados or floods.

Stan, in Windy Dallas