RE: STANDARD PRACTICE

Paul:

I hesitate to rub salt in an open wound, so I will refrain from posting a detailed write-up even though I could easily write a book on this amazing saga.  Instead, I will simply refer you to:

where you will find one-paragraph summaries of all of the disciplinary actions taken at the 03/15/01 meeting of the Texas PE Board.  It shouldn't take much effort to find the matter that I referred to.

Let me take this opportunity to state that I value all of your posts.  They are consistently well-thought out and meaningful contributions.

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE
Vice President
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Halff Associates, Inc.
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:  (214) 346-6280
Fax:  (214) 739-0095

Stan wrote:

In Texas, we police our own.  State law requires that all PEs report suspected violations.  Last year, I filed a complaint against a structural engineer who, on behalf of a contractor, tried to subvert the permitting process on one of my projects.  Earlier this year, the Texas PE Board suspended that engineer's PE license for three years, fined him $5,000, and forced him to attend a remedial course in engineering ethics.  Considering his age, this punishment probably amounts to a forced retirement.  The incident happened during construction, and would not have been discovered through a plan check or calculation review.

Stan,   in what way did the other engineer try and subvert the permitting process?  (Readers digest condensed version)

Paul Feather