RE: STANDARD PRACTICE - Late response

1.  The only thing plan checkers/ building officials should check on our
designs is our design criteria input, i.e. wind speed, live loads, seismic
level, etc.  If our criteria meets the building code, that's it.  Our PE
seal goes on the contract documents and makes us responsible.  Does the
building official put his seal on it?  Are they even qualified to check our
calcs?  Did we run a calc on the brick lintel or did you use your table you
developed years ago?  Why bother with an intern period, a licensing test,
and a seal on a drawing if you can't trust/blame us later?  Calcs and
drawings should be checked in house where the responsibility and the
qualifications resides.

2.  If you did calcs, but your building fails anyway, you go to court and
say "my calcs say it didn't fall", does that mean you're not guilty?

3.  Emergency room doctors should submit a procedure and basis for their
diagnosis to the city and to the patient before proceeding.  If we just
depend on their education, residency, passing the board or whatever how can
we assure against them making a mistake?

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.
LIBERTY ENGINEERING, P.C.
Virgnia Beach, VA
"The opinions of the undersigned do not necessarily reflect those of the
management."