Standard Practice (A must-read for any engineer)

What a great story, and what a great Engineer.  They need to teach that
story as a separate course in the engineering colleges, and to re-publish it
at least once a year in the professional magazines.

I urge EVERY engineer to read the story in its ENTIRETY.
<http://www.onlineethics.com/moral/LeMessurier/4.html>

As for the calcs...  My design often comes back from the plancheck with some
irrelevant, ignorant, or simply wierd questions or comments.  IMO, even such
"plancheck" has a positive impact on the engineering by making me take
another look at my work and at the problem in general.   As little time as I
(and everybody else) have for the plancheck responses - I would vote for the
mandatory submittal of formal structural analysis packages (as it is being
practiced in CA, anyway).

Steve Gordin, SE, PhD
Irvine CA