Re: STANDARD PRACTICE

For bridges and other structures on the light rail project, two
independent sets of calcs. are done. They are both submitted for whatever
checking the QA/QC folks (and later the agency folks) wish to do. Each
set of calcs. is required to be stamped by the person who prepared them.
Since this is a design/build project the plans also get a
constructability review and an interdiciplinary review. We have 3800
sheets of plans to do and have done 2100 since January. Meanwhile we are
under construction. Some portions are being constructed "at risk",
meaning that the plans for that portion are not completed and stamped but
the contractor understands that. This is a $650 million
construction/equipment cost job.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA