Re: Q: Non-Standard Joist Seat

I've talked with Vulcraft about this issue on a recent job as well where they
indicated to me that a non-standard seat is really cheap for them compared to any
other alternative.  You can use a seat greater than half of the joist depth but
additional bracing at the bearing has to be provided to prevent rollover and
lateral load transfer is another issue (similar to bottom chord bearing joist).

Eric Ober
Rockville, MD