Re: Fastener for presure treated wood

I have 2 concerns with this topic:

1)  Can we assume that the code writers didn't write what they intended, but
rather expected us to read their (unwritten) intentions by interpreting the
code the exact opposite of what their words say?  I think we might get in
some trouble doing this.

2) The current Simpson Strong-Tie Co. catalogue C-2001 dated 1/1/2001
includes on p. 5 the following: "[PT and fire-treated] wood can be caustic to
zinc coated steel and can cause the metal to deteriorate.  Galvanized
connectors should *NOT* (emphasis added) be placed in contact with treated
wood unless the treated wood is adequately verified to be suitable for such
contact.  Some wood treatments may not accelerate metal deterioration.  See
wood material supplier for specific recommendations."

The Simpson 2000 catalogue had the following additional statements:  "Simpson
is unaware of any reports or tests that demonstrate that CCA accelerates
metal deterioration, although Simpson has not conducted tests of CCA and
cannot warrant its performance."  The fact that they deleted these statements
from the 2001 catalogue is interesting.

It looks to me that we're between a rock and a hard place, or a code
requirement and a manufacturer's (adverse) recommendation.

Where do we go now?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA