RE: Fastener for pressure treated wood

You're right, poor choice of words, it is afterall referenced in a few
places, clearly that is what they wanted. If I was the code writer, I would
have put this requirement in section 2306.4 under Plates and Sleepers, make
it very simple: "All sill plate anchors and fasteners shall be hot dipped
galv."

Rhetorical question: Why are non galv. "j" bolts even sold, what else would
they be used for? Why does Simpson sell zinc coated all-thread for sill
plate anchors and a hole bunch of other sill plate fasteners, maybe for that
market that uses foundation grade cedar sill plates. Special orders can be
made for HD galv SSTB anchors, I think one could argue that those should be
galv. as well, same with BP washers. Check out page 5 of the Simpson
catalogue, they say some P.T. wood could actually deteriorate the galvanized
fastener. Should there be new stamps placed on sill plates that state "safe
for galvanized fasteners"

Jeff Smith

|~|
|~|
|~|
|~|In a message dated 6/13/01 6:34:30 PM, smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com writes:
|~|
|~|<< I don't think the code writers intended for sill plate
|~|
|~|anchors to be galvanized >>
|~|
|~|Then why did they specifically require it?  I'm no lawyer, but
|~|it seems to me
|~|that anchor bolts are "fasteners."
|~|
|~|Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
|~|Richmond CA USA
|~|
|~|*
|~|*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
|~|*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
|~|*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
|~|*
|~|*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
|~|*
|~|*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
|~|*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
|~|*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
|~|*   site at: http://www.seaint.org
|~|