Re: Interesting Link

>link to an interesting U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth
>Circuit.
>
>http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/99/99-40632-cv0.htm
Very interesting, since I'm in the same boat with the ASME Pressure
Vessel Code. The dissent was well written. I also question the Court's
finding that somehow non-rofit private sector organizations are more
competent to write bulding and boiler codes than state oraganizations.
The ASME Code is a volunteer effort anyway-- The committee members are
made up of government officials involved in administering pressure vessel
laws, academics and people from the pressure vessel industry such as
manufacturers, users, materials suppliers. All the ASME Code does is
administer the Code publication and furnish a venue for committee
meetings. I can't see why this should work any less effectively with the
government overseeing publication.

Keeping this effort free of political concerns might be a tough job
because all the private-sector groups with an ax to grind would want to
make sure their favorite ox wasn't gored, but this could probably be
handled the same way it is now by making sure that enough checks and
balances exist to keep, say, manufacturers, from dominating jurisdictions
to producing what amounts to a sweetheart contract. Likewise
jurisdictions have enough say-so to keep (generally) academia from
turning the thing into a fog-bound research treatise. So it works out.