From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2001 2:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fascinating Flood Photo

Thanks Bill, i remember in Riyadh (the Capital city) similar situation once
occured also way back in 1996 perhaps. This may be surprising, but its true.

Althoug Saudi Arabia is an arid region ( meaning receiving a very scanty
rainfall), but in winter it does rain a lot. One of such under passes was
flooded like the one you experienced in Houston. But guys explained the
pumps failed to cope up with this upsurge of water. Many a cars with people
inside & even a big trailer (goods lorry) got drowned in this.
This provokes me to think the mechanical engineers must give a serious
thought to designing of a battery of pumps to cope up with this situation,
especially in areas which have a history of extra ordinary rain fall; or
there should be regulation to the effect. What do you think, Gentlemen?
Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD, MENGG, Mem ASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD