RE: Low Concrete Quality...Metric Units

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > I had a debate with an old-timer colleague of mine, who insisted that a
. > job we were doing in SI units, which required a bill of materials on each
. > drawing for concrete, steel, reinforcing, etc., should have shown the
. > amount of steel in "Kilonewtons" instead of "Kilograms" as I had done.

Well, that depends on how it was "weighed."  If it was "weighed" by a balance
beam, then you were correct, however, if it was "weighed" by a spring system,
including one that uses strain gauges, then he was correct.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona