Re: Steel Building in Alaska

David

A few things first -

1.  Yes we can get -60 F and colder.  However, where in Alaska is the
building proposed?  If along the Gulf of Alaska or Southeast Alaska, we
don't reach that cold; if interior, western or northern Alaska, yes.

2.  Will the steel be enclosed within the insulation envelope or exposed
to the natural environment.  If the steel will be within the heated
envelope, no special steels are used.  If the site will get -60 F, avoid
through insulation and vapor barrier penetration of steel since
condensation on the cold steel will be a continuing and potentially
major problem.  If the steel will be cold will it be subject to impact
structural steels, bolts and welds are commonly used.  If impact loading
is a consideration on cold steel, Charpy criteria should be considered.
ASTM A320 High strength low temperature bolts are available.

3.  Construction time may also enter into the thought process, although
other than preheat and post heat for welds even this is not generally a
problem.  If winter erection of steel is anticipated a whole other set
of criteria might need to be considered.

Generally, we have found that if low temperature steel is desired it
needs to be in mill lots as it is typically not stocked or commonly
rolled.  If would be a rare building requiring low temperature steels.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.