Re: Q: How's Your Computer?

At our firm, approximately 150 employees, we use the trickle down method. I
mean to say the structural department and for whatever reason some of the
architects, get the new, high powered machines about every two or three
years. Our computers are given to lower level draftsmen, their's are given
to secretaries and project managers etc. I think our print boy and
maintenance man have computers(for time sheet purposes). I drive an 850 MHz
with 640 megs of RAM on windows NT. I've recently upgraded from a 450MHz
/256MB.

My personal computer at home which I also run structural software and CAD
(Arris) on is a PII 333 with windows 98. It's very slow comparatively but I
won't be upgrading any time soon.

>I'm sitting here doing my "Stuff" on my trusty old 400 MHz Celeron PC with
>256MB of RAM and Windows 2000, and thinking about how my computer is, in
>industry terms, "obsolete." Yet being a budget-conscious entrepeneur as I
>am, I have no plans to replace it in the near future.
>
>I'm wondering: Am I the exception, or the rule? Is it common among us,
>especially those who pay for our own iron, to hang on to these boxes long
>after the computer industry tells us they're obsolete? For myself, I really
>have no problems with the speed of my comuter--but if I suddenly had a 1.5
>GHz Athlon system plopped down in front of me, I may wonder why I never
>upgraded!
>
>I'd just be interested in some opinions.
>
>William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
>Polhemus Engineering Company
>Katy, Texas
>Phone 281-492-2251