Re: Q: How's Your Computer?

>I'm wondering: Am I the exception, or the rule? Is it common among us,
>especially those who pay for our own iron, to hang on to these boxes long
>after the computer industry tells us they're obsolete?
It's common with me. I'm running 10 year old software on a 3 year old 250
Mhz Mac clone. The reason I run an old machine is that I tend to run the
same old software, and I run the same old software because newer
revisions are less reliable and way too bloated. For example I still use
MS Word 5.1 because I know everything about it, even the obscure stuff
like the math typesetting. It's always great to have the latest and
greatest machine, but the associated time saving is vastly over-rated.

I figure being 100% up the learning curve of an older program is better
than being 25% up the curve for a newer version where feature bloat jacks
up the number of serious bugs. i can do this with a Mac because the newer
operating systems are backwards compatible. I run maybe 6 or 8 different
programs in a day most of which run on OS 7, OS 8 and OS 9. In a couple
of extreme cases (Macdraw for sketching and HyperCard for client
contacts) I'm still using the same versions I ran with OS 4 on a Mac
Plus.

I've also found that I computer speed doesn't truly pace my work. Thirty
seconds watching for a screen refresh or a FEA solution run seems like a
long time, but it's nothing compared to the time I spend on the actual
engineering or writing reports or Excel macros. A typical FEA problem
might take 20 minutes to run and a couple of days to write up for the
client by the time I've summarized results, done the graphics and
wordsmithed and proofed it all. The same problem might take another day
to lay out so I can get the answers my client needs, in addition to
modeling time. If the damn thing ran instantly, the hour I'd save on a
couple of check runs or model tweaks disappears in the noise. And
graphics refreshes are an opportunity to get up and change the CD.