FW: How's Your Computer?

"obsolete: _adj_ 1 a:  no longer in use or no longer useful"  [Webster's
Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary]

If the computer is being used and is useful, then it is not "obsolete."

I have 3 computers (4 if you consider one that is comatose); a Gateway
(originally 486/33 MHz) 586/133 MHz, 8MB RAM, with 540 MB HD running MSDOS
5.0; a Gateway P75, 40 MB RAM, 840 MB HD running MSDOS and WFWG 3.1; a UMAX
AMD K6-2/300 MHz Laptop with 32(?) MB RAM and a 3.1 GB HD with the HD
partitioned for 3 OSes, DRDOS 7, Linux, and W98.  The 586/133 is my
workhorse; the one on which I do all my drafting, word processing, database
work, etc.  The laptop I use only when I am *forced* to use Windoze and when
I travel.  The P75 was obtained when my office was burglarized and my "admin"
computer was stolen.

Oh, the comatose computer is a Leading Edge, model D (XT model) that has an
Intel Inboard PC/386 board installed.  It is comatose because the HD
controller board went out and as soon as I "get a round tuit" I will install
an 8-bit IDE controller board (which I have) and a 200 MB HD which will
resuscitate it and bring it back into useful service.

Now, if you are the type of person that needs a new car whenever the new car
smell goes away, then you will not be satisfied with usefulness, but whether
you have the "latest, fanciest, and (dubiously) greatest."

By the way, my "car" is a 1984 Nissan pickup with 188,000 miles on it and
only recently has started giving me some problems (alternator problems).  The
finish is "perfect" as I keep it protected with a nice even coat of dirt.

So, Eric, you are not far "behind the curve" but near the cusp, continuing to
be productive with productive tools; tools that are serving you well and with
which you are familiar.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

P.S.  I also have two slide rules (K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig) in my desk, a
6-inch and 12-inch.  It will probably take me a while, however, to regain
proficiency using them.

Eric Gillham wrote:

. > And I thought I was behind the curve!  I'm sitting in front of a PII 450
. > (Dell XPS) running WIN98 2nd Ed.

. > It's been my experience that it is fairly common for smaller firms (my
. > firm totals only 14 employees, including the receptionist and
. > accountant)that I work with to stay with older computers.  However, in
. > our firm, we range from P133 Dells through PII 200's, 400's and finally
. > mine at the "top" blazing along at 450Mhz.

. > I tried to convince my boss that when Dell stops putting ALL our computers
. > in their catalog, then it is time to upgrade, but haven't been successful
. > just yet.

. > As a side note, I would probably opt for component upgrades before I turn
. > in the CPU - a nice 21" Trinitron monitor, better video card or even more
. > memory seems to net more of a benefit for me.  But, like you, I would
. > certainly like to have a faster processor.

. > For what it is worth.

. > T. Eric Gillham PE