What are you, some kind of computer snob? ;-)
My base machine is a 133 Mhz machine with 32 meg of ram. I'm still running
Windows 95. It runs everything I have, including CAD. I confess my
Microsoft Office Pro package is old, and I often have to ask people to
e-mail me in a *much earlier* version document or spreadsheet, but it
hasn't been a problem. I use a 17" monitor, because I couldn't swing for a
I just went *uptown* and bought a used laptop, (IBM Thinkpad 760XL, 166
Mhz, 42 meg ram) that gives me some mobility. I loaded Intellicad 2000 on
it ($19.99 from Circuit City -- ACAD compatible, thru 2000). It had
Microsoft Office Pro on it. It does what I need, and if someone steals it
when I'm out in the field, I'm not out the big bux. The 12.1" monitor is
marginal... So be it.
Now... If I had plenty of money, there are lots of things I could do...
Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org