Re: Shoring Responsibility

If you calculated for the support of the bar joists, you know what the end
reactions are -- You had to *design* something to ultimately support the
joists.  My position is that anything beyond that is contractor
responsiblility.

And the contractor knows that.  I'd give him joist reactions
(CONSERVATIVE), and let him go from there.

In my experience, contractors are often offended when I tell them how to do
their job.

And don't overlook *liability* issues.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Michael Zaitz <mzaitz(--nospam--at)hgbd.com>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: Re: Shoring Responsibility
> Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 9:51 AM
>
> Fountain;
>
> The project is the standard design-BID-build.  Contractor was not chosen
until
> bids were in and the lowest (or closest thereto) was chosen.  The
contractor
> has not hired us to do the shoring design but claims that we are
responsible
> to give him loads and locations so he can design the shoring.  I
personally do
> not have much experience with this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>

> Fountain Conner wrote:
>
> > You don't have control over the contractor's operations.  If you
*dictate*
> > the shoring design, it opens the owner up for extras.
> >
> > I will design the contractor's shoring, but he has to hire me to do it.
> > will coordinate with him on the method he would like to use, and we
will
> > agree on an acceptable design.
> >
> > You *did* say design-build.  If you're working for the contractor in a
> > direct-bill basis, I'd say it's okay, but you still need to coordinate
> > closely with him.  If you're hard-money, it's a contractor function --
He