Re: [AEC-Residential] Q: How's Your Computer?

I've always looked at this by defining two types of obsolescence.
"Technical" obsolescence is what you are talking about.  Your machine is no
longer up with computers being sold now.  However, your machine is not
"functionally" obsolete.  It still does everything that you want it to, and
you are happy with it's performance.  I'm sure that if you suddenly started
using a start of the art machine, it will seem like a big step forward.
But for me, if the machine your are using is getting the job done to your
satisfaction, there is nothing wrong with "hanging on to the old iron". I
usually wait until I feel that my computer is "functionally" obsolete,
rather than "technically" obsolete, before I start looking for a
replacement. Of course, you can wait a bit too long.  My first Windows
machine had a 486 processor, 16 Mb RAM, and a 300 Mb hard drive.  It
replaced a computer with an 8088 processor, 1 Mb RAM, dual 360 Kb floppies,
and a monochrome monitor.  Now that was a BIG increase in performance.

--Kipp Martin, S. E.
  Portland, Oregon

Bill Polhemus wrote:

I'm sitting here doing my "Stuff" on my trusty old 400 MHz Celeron PC with
256MB of RAM and Windows 2000, and thinking about how my computer is, in
industry terms, "obsolete." Yet being a budget-conscious entrepeneur as I
am, I have no plans to replace it in the near future.

I'm wondering: Am I the exception, or the rule? Is it common among us,
especially those who pay for our own iron, to hang on to these boxes long
after the computer industry tells us they're obsolete? For myself, I really
have no problems with the speed of my comuter--but if I suddenly had a 1.5
GHz Athlon system plopped down in front of me, I may wonder why I never
upgraded!