Point Load on Plywood Flooring

Greetings and Salutations:

I have an upcoming project, (residential), with a conventional floor framing system.  The owners have a 700 pound piano supported with three small legs.  The floor framing system will consist of hardwood flooring over 3/4" plywood, (or equivalent), supported by 2x12 floor joists.  As we can not control the location of the point load, how can we support the concentrated load of the piano leg?

In the cases, we had limited allowances for movement due to the room shape and blocking was added to resist the concentrated loads.  With this project, the piano may be anywhere on the first floor.

Any thoughts, suggestions, directions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bobby Jenkins, P.E.
Jenkins Engineering, Inc.
PO Box 2101 / 218 S Thomas St  Suite 209
Tupelo, MS  38803
(662) 840.1233 V / (662)840.1103 F
E-Mail:
jei(--nospam--at)netbci.com