From: Jeff Smith [mailto:smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 6:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OMRF beam-to-column-welds

I have FEMA 350/353 on order, but in the mean time I have a few questions
for Zone 4 steel OMRF:

Is it REQUIRED that the beam web has a full pen weld to the column and
erection shear tab per page 206 of the SEAOC SDM VIII? Why not use just a
welded shear tab?

Is there anything wrong with specifying CJP welds all around the continuity
plates. The design manual has CJP at column flanges and fillet welds to
column web.

Frame column splices (3' above FF) need not be designed for omega x
calculated seismic forces. Full pen welds at the flanges, no need to remove
back up bars, do remove run off tabs. I heard this is in FEMA 350 page 2-27.

Thanks,

Jeff Smith