RE: Metal Building Details

It has been a while since I last looked at the Newman book you had referred
to re: metal buildings.  Seems like it had a lot of general details from
various PEMB manufacturers.  That is probably your best bet if you want
general details to see how a situation might be handled.

Again I would have to say contact with the individual MB company on a per
job basis might be your best alternative if you need to know the exact
detail.  Many manufactures may have proprietary details or parts for many of
the areas you mentioned below and they tend to reuse them for various jobs.
There are not many standard *industry* details for most of them.

Some examples of variances are:
Frame Details - 	Material limitations vary per manufacturers material
specifications and availability
			  (thickness, width, yield, etc.)
			Different depth taper limits, etc. may be based upon
manufacturers equipment capabilities
Splice Details - 	Variances in bolt quantity, location, gage, pitch,
diameter, and stiffener locations, sizes,
			weld locations, and sizes per manufacturer (welds
can also vary based upon what has been AWS
			qualified since many PEMB welds for splices, etc.
MAY not fall within AWS prequalified welds)
Steel Trusses - 	My guess is that this area has a significant amount
of variance between manufacturers
			(materials, welds, splices, depths, etc.)
Purlins/Girts -	Some variance.  might be bolted from Purlin/Girt flanges to
frame flanges (typical) or could bolt
			to clip (either welded or bolted) or to welded knife
plate from frame flange.  Could have special
			coped detail for special circumstances.  Some
manufactures may have different orientations of
			purlins and/or girts than others.  A few different
Eave strut parts available also.
Struts - 		May be a purlin/girt, heavier purlin/girt, nested
purlin/girt, double C, box strut, pipe strut,
			mill strut, etc.  A lot of variance.
Brace Rods - 	Some variance... Imagine most use either bevel/hillside
washers or clevis connections to clips
			or knife plates.  Occasional use of clips to
foundations, etc. also.
Tie Rods - 		Not sure I know exactly what you mean.  If talking
about crane rail tie backs then I expect wide
			variances based upon availabilty, std. procedure, or
use of special details from CO's like Gantrex.
Base Plates - 	Minimal variance... differences might be standard location
of bolts, oversize amount, standard
			welds to columns, use of stiffeners
Stiffeners -	Splice Stiffeners vary per connection and manufacturer.
Intermediate shear stiffeners vary per
			manufacturer... some use them to lighten webs and
others don't use them at all.
Bracing Options -	Wide variances.  most offer rods, single angle,
double angle, and portal frames.  Other might
			offer cable bracing, portal bracing, fixed base
posts, one legged portal frames, tiered bracing,
			shear walls, etc.
Roof and Wall Panels -	These definetly vary per manufacturer!  Some of the
main panel classes are: 1) Screw Down Roof;
			2) Standing Seam Roof; 3) Architectural Standing
Seam Roof; 4) Snap Lock Seam Roofs.  Each of these
			have their own pros and cons (and details).
Trims		-	These also vary per manufacturer (gutters,
downspouts, rake angle/channels, base angle/channels,
			eave trims, etc.)

The variances are just too wide to give a detail for XX situation unless you
talk to the PEMB company directly.  If you are just looking to get in the
ballpark for some architectural drawings then the Details book you mentioned
may get you into the ballpark.

Hope this helps,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC MO