RE: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

If you don't change the operating system you MAY be able to install the new
hard drive in the machine and copy all of the directories from the old hard
drive to the new one.  If upgrading operating systems also (esp. with the
Windows you like so much) your best bet is to actually reinstall each piece
of software.

For data files it is much easier.  A few good options are:
1) Use a LAN connection to transfer files from one computer to the next
2) Copy files from 1 HD to the next (if using same machine)
3) Use a USB device such as Belkin - Direct Connect (LAN variation) to
transfer file (faster then #1)
4) Do the old fashion copy to a diskette and back to the new hard drive

Unfortuneately with the Windows software putting files in the Windows and
Windows\System Directories (and the System Registry) it is much more
difficult to copy software packages (unless of course they are the old DOS
programs).

Sounds like you are keeping the same box and just changing the CPU and
adding a hard drive... easiest might be to change the CPU (maybe BIOS also)
and add the larger HD as your 2nd HD keeping the original as your boot up
HD.

But then again, wiping the system and reinstalling all of the software is a
good :0( way of cleaning all of those unneeded files from the Win and
Win\Sys directories.

HTH,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC MO