FW: "Components and Cladding" Load on Ledger Angle Fastener

Bill:

I would check the ledger for the load case that you are describing -
combined tension (from roof uplift) and shear (from wall suction), but I can
see your point that it seems a bit conservative from a C&C point of view.

However, as I see it that is a possible loading condition, and should be
checked.

It would seem that the tributary area of the angle, both from the roof and
the walls, would be the governing factor, along with the designation of
MWFRS vs. C&C, which in my mind is tributary area controlled anyway.

If you have already designed the angle for 1) roof uplift and the
corresponding trib area and 2) wall suction and the corresponding trib area,
and these were done separately, then to do them together results in a larger
trib area (roof+wall), which through some rational engineering judgement,
would result in lower coefficients used to compute the wind pressure on the
roof and wall.

Not sure if this makes sense, but in general it is how I would approach it.

Regards,

T. Eric Gillham PE