RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

Well, that still doesn't address the issue. It'd be easy enough to "slave"
the old drive in the new machine and then copy the files over. In fact, it
would be just as easy to backup the system, say to ZIP disks, and then
restore it to the new system if that were all there was to it.

What I'm talking about is much more intricate: Essentially resurrecting your
entire system, with all applications and data intact, all the Registry
settings pointing to the right places, etc.

In software terms, it's like the very nice upgrade feature that Windows 2000
allows. Prior versions of Windows NT required that you completely reformat
and then install the system. It would not allow an "upgrade" of a previous
version of Windows, so that the programs, etc., were unaffected.

Windows 2000 allowed me to have my cake and eat it, too. I was able to
install it OVER the existing Windows 98 SE system, even including
reconfiguring the HD to NTFS from FAT32. When it was done, there was my old
desktop, all my programs, even the shortcuts worked. There were some minor
glitches that were easily repaired. It was great.

I want to be able to do that in Hardware terms.

Actually, what I'm thinking to do gut my existing system, and install a new
motherboard and a new HD. I will still have the old HD, but of course won't
really be able to "boot" the system from that, AFAIK, because the
hardware-specific configuration won't match.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251