From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 9:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

I have PartitionMagic, and it will work as you describe.

HOWEVER... The problem isn't with simply putting a larger hard drive in an existing machine, but with restoring the same system on a NEW machine. Unless the hardware is essentially the same, I think that won't work, because there are low-level "hardware-specific" pieces of the OS that will cause the new system not to function.

Think of it this way: Suppose I take my system and (as I plan to do) remove the old Motherboard, install a new one. Everything is the same, but now I have a new Motherboard. Then, I try to boot the system from the existing HD. During boot-up, the system that the OS finds does NOT function with some of the hardware-specific pieces of the OS, and I submit the boot will fail.

That's what I'm looking at doing.

It does seem like Norton Ghost might be the answer, BTW.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251