RE: FEMA 350-354

The way UBC is written you have to prove by test or calculations that the
SMRF connection meets the requirements of section 2213.7.1.1. This could be
a daunting task since you may have to either test the connection or perform
finite element calculations to satisfy this requirement. However, the
building officials in many jurisdictions would accept compliance with FEMA
350 as an alternate. But that does not mean that your only choice is to use
that guideline.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA