Re: Steel Tube

The AISC manual does not list all the tube sizes available, only the tube sizes for the given material spec.  Many alternate sizes are available as architectural metals or in gage steel.  Are the tubes required to be structural?  If so, you are probably looking at specifying a cold formed section in gage metal (Fy = 33 ksi).  Call the steel fabricator and ask them what they can get in a 1"x1" tube.  Common materials in the So. Cal area are .065 through .120 wall, though the material qualities vary.

Paul Feather
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:54 AM
Subject: Steel Tube

I have an architect calling out 1" x 1" steel tubes.  But the smallest tube in my AISC manual is 1-1/2" x 1-1/2".  It's my understanding that the manual lists all the available sizes fabricated, is this correct?  or can she get 1" square steel tubes?

Alden Manipula
Structural E.I.T.
www.novagroupinc.net