RE: California's Rolling Blackouts

Interesting article in the San Jose Mercury today. Duke corporation,
according to one of its employees, intentionally reduced generation capacity
in order to cause a fake shortage and jack up the prices. Another anecdotal
evidence that prompts me to believe that this whole shortage is a make
believe, is the fact that we just had the hottest week of the year in the
bay area and there not a minute of black out happened as a result of it. The
whole crisis is probably going to fade away now that the state has made
those multibillion dollar contracts with the producers.

Gerard,

Although I agree with you on almost everything, trying to blame only the
energy producers is probably not the prudent thing in my opinion. We have
become a society of gougers. Wherever there is a sign of prosperity, the
greed factor in people flourishes. As an example, in our own back yard, we
have seen what has happened to the real estate prices. People who bought
their homes only a few years ago are now asking for double the purchase
price. But nobody is calling these homeowners greedy or price gouger. My
point is that the creation of huge wealth in California in recent years,
especially due to the high tech boom, has prompted everyone who does
business in this area, to try to maximize their profit, and this is not
exclusive to energy producers.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA