Clear space for no. 11 rebars in mat foundation [10 story buildin g]

Hello:

I have a permit for a 10 story building that has a mat foundation.  The
special inspectors and municipal inspectors found horizontal number 11 bars
with a 1/2 inch clear space during a foundation inspection today.    UBC
1907.6.1 says the spacing needs to be greater than db but not less than 1
inch.  UBC 1903.3.2 indicates the aggregate cannot be larger than .75 times
the clear spacing between bars.  The concrete has aggregate less than .75
inches.  The EOR indicated he does not have a problem with the reinforcement
the way it is.

1)  Should the bars be moved to meet the 1 3/8 inch clear between bars based
on UBC 1907.6.1?

2)  Is the reason for the clear space between horizontal bars being the bar
diameter based on a development requirement?

3)   It seems 1 inch for the aggregate would be a good compromise.  Would it
be completely off the wall to allow 1" between no. 11 bars with 3/4"
aggregate?

I am supposed to go look at it in an hour and give them an answer whether
they can pour this weekend.

Thanks for your opinions,

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer