Clear space for no. 11 rebars in mat fou

Good grief!

How is the aggregate supposed to get thru such space?

How is a vibrator going to get thru a 1/2" space?

And a 10 story building is going to be constructed on this foundation?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Haan wrote:

. > I have a permit for a 10 story building that has a mat foundation.  The
. > special inspectors and municipal inspectors found horizontal number 11
. > bars with a 1/2 inch clear space during a foundation inspection today.
. > UBC 1907.6.1 says the spacing needs to be greater than db but not less
. > than 1 inch.  UBC 1903.3.2 indicates the aggregate cannot be larger than
. > .75 times the clear spacing between bars.  The concrete has aggregate
. > less than .75 inches. The EOR indicated he does not have a problem with
. > the reinforcement the way it is.

. > 1)  Should the bars be moved to meet the 1 3/8 inch clear between bars
. > based on UBC 1907.6.1?

. > 2)  Is the reason for the clear space between horizontal bars being the
. > bar diameter based on a development requirement?

. > 3)   It seems 1 inch for the aggregate would be a good compromise.  Would
. > it be completely off the wall to allow 1" between no. 11 bars with 3/4"
. > aggregate?

. > I am supposed to go look at it in an hour and give them an answer whether
. > they can pour this weekend.

. > Thanks for your opinions,

. > Scott M Haan P.E.
. > Plan Review Engineer