From: JohnOttCE(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org ('seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org')
Subject: Greed and Reward
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:49:14 EDT

There are only two things to consider when looking at the way society (and
people) react.

First: Everyone is greedy to a degree (Some more, some less) and it is greed that motivates our society and makes this country the greatest in the world.

Second: Our economy and decisions of everyone is based on the principle that
"No one does anything without a reward".

The energy crisis will never be solved without coming to grips with the above principles that govern nearly every thing in our society. With price caps (Be
them hard or soft) will only slow (or possibly stop) the development of new
energy sources (Be it new generator plants, or new sources of energy).

President Bush was correct in declaring the problems in California did not
warrant any response from the Federal government. Let the economy dictate and
the prices will rise to meet at a point where the supply will match the
demand. This was altered when California decided that there should be a free
market for wholesale electricity prices and a regulated market for the
consumer.

The poor electricity user (you and me) don't want to pay the price for the
electricity that we "need" at a price that will motivate investors to
construct new facilities to generate electricity. So by our actions we will
eventually have no electricity for our "needs".

It is simply economics at play and we as engineers are not about to solve it
by cluttering up this list server with items that are not part of what this
list server is supposed to be about. Please leave economics to economists and
engineering to engineers.

John Ott