Re: Greed and Reward

Mr. Ott,

I believe that you are incorrect as to what it is that motivates most people.

This morning I had an altercation with my four year old son and after he finished his time-out and we were discussing the problem,  he looked up at me and said " Daddy, I love you a million times".

That sir is my motivation,  to love and cherish and support my family.

It is not greed that I expect an honest days pay for an honest days work.  I am quite certain that the millions of Americans who struggle every day to pay the rent and keep food on the table  are NOT motivated by greed.  We bust our butts and ask that we get a fair shake in return.

The definition of the word "greed" according to American Heritage Dictionary is "An excessive desire to acquire or possess, as wealth or power, beyond what one needs or deserves."

I don't think a single mom working at Burger King for $ 6.25 /hr has the income or power to qualify as greedy.

Now,  Duke Energy has been paid as much as $ 3,800.00 per megawatt hour for power earlier this year.  According to the SF Chronical,  the wholesale cost of power last year was around $ 30.00 per megawatt hour. That certainly is an example of GREED.   Supposedly bankrupt PG&E requesting bonuses of millions of dollars for its management is GREED.  Mr. Keating the SL slime king stealing millions from senior citizens is GREED.  Corporate CEO's being paid thousands of times what the average employee earns is GREED.

And of course now that FERC has imposed those harsh price mitigations of $ 275.00 per megawatt hour.  How are those poor energy companies expected to make any profits at rates that are nearly TEN TIMES what they were able to make a profit with last year.

And finally what makes America great is our FREEDOM in every form.  Including talking politics on an engineering forum, just because we can.

Robert Shaffer, PE
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT
Santa Cruz, CA