RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

Well, for all intents in purposes the point is now moot.

I bought the hard drive, and my attempts to install it have failed. The new
drive is a 40GB Maxtor. Put it in, nothing happened, I fiddled and fooled,
then read a bit, and finally came across some clues--not outright
information, but comments in passing.

My system apparently won't support a drive this size! I don't know what size
it WILL support, but it won't do this one! (The docs said something about an
8.4GB barrier, but the drive it came with was 10GB, so that can't be it).
All I know is the 40GB won't work, and there is no newer system bios
available.

So there IS a real, live example of "functional obsolescence!" I am now
going to have to buy a new motherboard for the simple reason that I can't
live with a small drive anymore (yes, I know, I could use a second drive,
but under Windoze that is SO yucky! It's simplicity itself under Linux,
where partitions are transparent to the user, but who the h*** wants to
remember whether your stuff is on the C: drive or D:? Hm, I just remembered
why I would like all my apps to be available under Linux!)

Anyway, I'm ticked off about this. I was half-convinced that I wasn't being
"left behind" sticking with this 400MHz computer; now I'm back to square
one. Sheesh.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas