RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

No, I have "investigated it," and it is true. It has something to do with a
limitation in the Logical Block Address capability of the system BIOS. It's
as if they only allocate so much space for sector/block addressing, and no
more. This is generally handled by a BIOS upgrade, and indeed, I have
flashed the BIOS one time before this, to upgrade it to the latest version.

But I have looked on the web page of the Taiwanese company that made my
Mainboard (ECS USA) and I already have the latest BIOS, which was last
updated two years ago! It's like they said "oh, well, on to bigger and
better things!" This is another reason why a name-brand motherboard is
probably a good idea (and I will make sure the next one is such).

IOW, if the manufacturer had cared enough, they would have made a BIOS
upgrade available to increase the limitation on the size of the drive that
the system will recognize, but they apparently don't.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251