RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

Bill,

You are probably right.  I found this link in addition to the other one
that I sent you:

http://www.tech-review.com/review.pl?id=75&page=1

On this web page it states the following:

"Bios

Depending on the size of your new hard drive and the age of your computer,
you may run into hard drive detection problems. If you plan to go all out
and purchase a 40 GB hard drive, but have an older Pentium 166 computer,
the motherboard will not be able to detect the new drive (and the funds
used to purchase the 40 GB drive should be put to upgrading your computer
instead). This is because older computers, and even some today, do not
support hard drives up to 40 GB. Each motherboard/OEM manufacturer must
release a new BIOS, which will be able to support such hard drives.

Here are three date/capacity comparisons for BIOS hard drive support:

BIOS date prior to August 1994: May not support hard drives larger than
528 MB.

BIOS date prior to February 1996: May not support hard drives larger than
2.1 GB.

BIOS date prior to January 1998: May not support hard drives larger than
8.4 GB.

In addition, you will need to make sure that your BIOS is setup to auto
detect your IDE, hard drive, devices. You can do this by entering the BIOS
(pushing the DEL button during the computer boot screen), and selecting
"Auto" for drive definitions.

So, the first step when installing a new hard drive is to update your
BIOS.  This will prevent detection problems that may arise. If you have no
clue as to how to update your BIOS, please consult our BIOS Upgrade Guide
for detailed information. Keeping your BIOS up-to-date is essential to
maintaining your computer's performance and compatibility."

Ah, you learn something new every day!

Looks like you might be SOL.

Sorry.

Scott