RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

Bill, On some of the older boards, the size limitation is only for the
primary partition. However, most of these drives comes with Ontrack or
similar low level formatting that will overcome the maximum primary
partition size of the drive. They take very few resources and run in the
background so you don't know that they are there. Partition Magic does
pretty much the same thing and it is  the software I have used and trust
because you can adjust partitions without reformatting your drive. The
program is really great to us and you can reduce or increase a partition
size as you design. The only limitation is that you need to transfer the
data from one drive to another to maintain free space so the new
partition sizes can be set.

With larger drives becoming more common, the old idea of partitioning is
beginning to make sense again as the time required to access on section
of a large drive to another is suppose to benefit from partitioning.
Personally, I never figured this was an inconvenience in the past as it
helped me organize my programs (CAD on one drive, Business tools on
another, Windows and Swap files on another etc). When I purchased an 18
gig drive, I left everything on one drive and now I am sorry that I had,
because the drive is 2/3 full and I find that I have to scroll a lot
more to find the information I need.

Of course I could be entirely wrong, but it doesn't hurt to consider the
alternative to a new motherboard.

Dennis