Imperial Units

A client's specifications require the design of the project to be in imperial units.

Is this a system of measurement?  What are its length/weight/force units?

This is a project that involves brickwork, and I seem to recall that there was a manufacturer of bricks that had  bricks of a special size and shape that were called imperial bricks -- I suppose these specs could be referring to brick units.  But the existing bricks are commons, and the context seems to give imperial a meaning that is more probably related to a system of measurement.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net