RE: Greed and Reward

Regis,

So this is your justification to allow and accept greed?  The gentleman
who is motivated by his desire to protect his family will do less harm
on society than those who believe that the the goal is to achieve the
greatest number possessions or amount of wealth in a lifetime. While we
are not perfect (as you pointed out) we should aspire to perfection.
This was said by some great person whose name I don't know. Someone else
pointed out that life is not constructed of absolutes, but that we live
in degrees.

I believe the discussion is more relevant to degree than absolutes.
There is no right or wrong in a society constructed on opportunity to
attain wealth. But the goal to become wealthy does not includ attaining
opulance at the expense or suffering of others.

Why is it wrong to expect that every family be provided with a minimum
level of necessity? Individuals or family should have a basic right to a
dry roof, three meals a day, medical care, basic utilities to provide
heat, water and power and basic clothing and opportunity to do better.
We can't guarantee these basics (and we fight not to) in our cities
where the cost of living is much higher than two people can afford.

It never fail's to amaze me how we praise the wealthy for their
charitable contributions, yet the charity may not be necessary if they
earned less and the savings returned to the public in lower cost of
entertainment. An extra five million returned can lower the cost of a
ticket a dollar or more.

Go figure!

While we live in degrees we should not lose site of how our lives
interact with others around us. I've never known what it was like not to
give or not to care. My granddaughter did - last Thanksgiving. My wife
made her spend the day dishing out food at the local shelter. My
granddaughter learned quickly - especially when she put food on the
plate of a young girl she went to school with. I'm not a religious
person and the idea of being charitable to my neighbor has no religious
significance - it is the only decent thing to do.

Dennis