For a compact channel bent about it's weak axis, LT buckling is not a limit
state. Yielding is the only limit state and the LRFD value is phi*Mp
(<1.5My). This is the same as for a braced compact section bent about it's
strong axis. What the ASD value is might be infered from the preceeding.
Curt La Count
From: Les Rhinehart [mailto:l_n_rhinehart(--nospam--at)email.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 12:01 PM
Subject: Weak Axis Bending of Rolled Channel ASD
Does anyone know how you can justify Fb=0.75Fy for weak axis bending of a
rolled channel? Section F2.1 specifically to my knowledge cover doubly
symmetrical I & H shape and solid bars, not channels. Any ideas?
VITOK Engineers, Inc.
NOTICE - This message may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org