RE: Q: Moving To A Larger Hard Drive

UPDATE: On the Maxtor website I discovered that the problem is with 'bug' in
the Award BIOSes manufactured before 1999. Award came up with a fix, and
sent it to all its customers (i.e. motherboard manufacturers), but of course
the motherboard manufacturers have to incorporate the fix into their custom
BIOS updates.

The manufacturer of my board apparently opted not to do so.

BTW, the limitation in this case is 32GB. Now, if I were running DOS, or
Windows 3.1, or Windows 9x, the drive manufacturers have come up with a
workaround, a BIOS patch (similar to the ONTRACK product used by Conner
drives a few years ago, to workaround the half-gig problem in the old 486s).
However, since I run Windows 2000, the fix won't work for me.

Ergo, I'm back to looking at purchasing a new motherboard.

The good part is, there is a "mom-and-pop" computer shop about two miles
from here, run by a nice young Taiwanese couple, and they sell name-brand
motherboards dirt-cheap. I can probably upgrade to a 1.2 GHz Athlon for
about $350, including 256 MB of 133MHz memory.

Not bad, IMO.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas