RE: Imperial Units

Actually, Imperial and US units are slightly different.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons

-----Original Message-----
From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 3:34 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Imperial Units

Gentlemen

Imperial Unit has an origin to the word IMPERIAL perse. Imperial means, "of
or relating to an empire or to the rule of an emperor or empress".

Imperial Unit basically conforms to the official British Standard of weights

and measures. This is principally old FPS (FOOT-POUND-SECOND) unit. But now
that the British themselves are into METRIC SYSTEM for long, this IMPERIAL
unit is ofcourse the  present time US CUSTOMARY units. Best regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, Mem ASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA.