RE: CFS Column with Fixed Base?

Don't try.

George Richards, P. E.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 5:41 PM
To: SEAINT; Aec-Residential@Polhemus. Cc
Subject: Q: CFS Column with Fixed Base?

Okay, before you snort, guffaw, or otherwise evidence your disbelief that
one could pose a question so preposterous, remember that I'm (with deep
fascination, I assure you) endeavoring to get up to speed on CFS design, and
so the preposterous must invariably come up from time to time.

I want to make a "box section" column that will able to resist moments at
the base. I'm not sure if this is feasible, unless some sort of bizarre shop
fabrication were involved--which I want to get away from if at all possible.

Anyone have any ideas?

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas