RE: CFS Column with Fixed Base?

Bill,
If you could get the boxed column to work you would need to embed it
into a foundation rather than try to gain fixity by a surface
connection. The steel is too thin to weld until you get down to an 8 or
12 gauge material and by the time you get there, you might as well use a
tube steel section (hot rolled) rather than cold-formed as the labor to
construct the CFS column would be cost prohibitive.
Beyond that, you would still have to deal with the issue of calculating
the deflection and worry about buckling of the composite section - I
just don't think it is worth the effort.

Dennis