Re: Steel Grade

Rich:

I can't speak to specifics of North Carolina or Texas, but in general most
(or all) wide flange members for beams and columns are "dual" certified
these days.  This essentially means that they met either A36 or A572-50.
Thus, typically if you specify A36, you will get 50 ksi steel (for WF).
Additionally, you should be specifying A572-50 with special requirements
per AISC Technical Bulletin #3 (dated March 1997) or as it is other wise
know, A992.

Other misc steel such as plates, angles, channels, S-shapes, etc will
typically be A36.  A572-50, however, can be used for these members if
required, but will not likely be as readily available.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI