Re: Steel Grade

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Steel Grade

> (or all) wide flange members for beams and columns are "dual" certified
> Thus, typically if you specify A36, you will get 50 ksi steel (for WF).

Actually, you shouldn't spec A36 WF's anymore, if they are coming from the
mills.  The mills have added a grade extra for A36.  What they produce today
is A992.  If you know the material is coming from a service center
(warehouse), then you may still find A36 that will be "duel cert", but it
should be phasing out soon.

Scott A. Dunham, PE
Dunham Engineering Services
Dothan, AL