Bent anchor bolts

Scott,

This question came up in the August 1999 issue of AISC Modern Steel
Construction.  Here is the link with the question and two responses:

http://www.aisc.org/modernsteel/msg.asp?QuesID=62

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 06/26/01 03:28 PM -----

                    Scott Maxwell
                    <smaxwell@engin.        To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
                    umich.edu>              cc:
                                            Subject:     Bent anchor bolts
                    06/26/01 12:35
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

I have a question that was asked of me and I could not locate a solid
answer anywhere.  I figure someone here will know...

Say you have an anchor bolt (opps, that would be anchor rods...damn, keep
forgetting that) sitting there out in the field prior to the column being
placed and it is just minding its own business, when "Wham!" someone runs
into it and bends it.  Someone asked if there is anything in a code
document that would prevent that anchor rod from being cold bent back
straight.  If there is nothing in code form, any personal opinions on cold
bending it back straight?

Thanks,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI